I remember them

It’s Transgender Day of Remembrance. Today we remember those lost in the last year to transphobic violence.

I refuse to remember you next year. You will still be here. I insist.

I have hands and mind and the will. If need be, I have guns and knives and boots and bricks and I know where to get torches and pitchforks. All of these things I have are for you, because I refuse to remember you next year. You will still be here. I insist.

You are quiet and I have not heard enough from you lately. I hope you are ok. Are they mistreating you? Are you mistreating yourself? I have a comfortable couch and quiet conversation and a glass of brandy and a bowl of soup and a loud laugh. These things too are all for you, because. I insist.

I spend the time I can surrounded by boxes full of other people’s memories. I am nearly a professional rememberer. Whether you slip quietly away, surrounded by those who love you, or you fall in the fight against those who would see you suffer, I will collect the box of things that others can remember you by. I am not afraid to remember you, but I will not remember you next year. You will still be here. I insist.

ETA: The specific mention of soup is a shout-out to a brilliant piece by a brilliant friend. I’ve added a link so that everyone knows the reference, because it is such a good one.

This entry was posted in community, trans and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to I remember them

1. Rachel Kate says:

Thank you. This is really wonderful; I would like to recite these words to every trans person I know, because I would certainly mean them for everyone. ♥

2. I’ll be here next year. Unless I get hit by a bus, in which case, my funeral will be a fabulous Viking affair, complete with a pointy hat and a dingy. I don’t want to be mourned. I want to be celebrated. Though not just yet, eh?

Oh, and nice blog you have here.

3. CaitieCat says:

Yeah, just for the record: if/when I go, the rule is “no black at the funeral unless you always wear black, as little crying as possible, and everyone must try to remember at least one joke or funny thing I did or said.” I’ve spent my days trying to make people’s lives a slightly lighter place, I don’t want my death to be the antithesis of that.

But I’ll be here next year. Too damn ornery not to be. :)

4. Asher says:

I would really like to repost this on Tranarchism.com because wow. May I?

5. Marlene says:

Yes. Of course you may. Thanks for asking. Credit and a link would be nice.

6. Asher says:

Credit and a link will of course happen. I already added you to my blogroll. <3 your top image btw.

7. Pingback: FUKSHOT: I Remember Them « Tranarchism

8. A Noun says:

This gave me chills. Thank you for writing this and sharing.

9. Nessa Star says:

Not much has moved me lately as much as this did. Thank you very much for this. <3